Sports Residency Overview
Nata Salvatori, PT, DPT, OCS, SCS, FAAOMPT
Coordinator, Sports Residency Program
The Brooks Sports Residency program will be the sixth residency program developed and implemented by the Brooks IHL. The Brooks/UNF Orthopaedic Residency is a pre-requisite for the Sports Residency allowing them to be eligible to sit for both the OCS and SCS ABPTS Board certification exams.
The Brooks Sports Residency is currently seeking candidacy status for Physical Therapists through the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency & Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE).
The Sports Residency Program will prepare physical therapists to successfully pass the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) board certification exam in sports (SCS).
The program curriculum covers all components and requirements for an orthopaedic residency as well as a sports residency. The sports activities include opportunities with the Jacksonville Jaguars, a variety of student athletes from the University of North Florida, and opportunities with high school student athletes from a variety of sports.
- The residency will be founded on The Five Pillars.
- The residents will participate in combinations of traditional coursework, directed learning activities, and clinical mentoring.
- Residents will serve as staff physical therapists for the course of the training.
- Upon graduation, the residents will serve as clinical leaders and change agents for Brooks Rehabilitation and/or the profession.
View Full Curriculum
View Directed Learning Activities
Applicants to the Brooks Sports Residency Program:
- Must graduate from a CAPTE accredited PT program.
- Must obtain a Florida PT license.
- Must meet all eligibility requirements to be employed as a practicing Physical Therapist within Brooks Rehabilitation.
- Must demonstrate eligibility for membership within the APTA.
- Individuals who have previously completed the Brooks Orthopaedic Residency Program are eligible to apply for this program with entrance directly into the second year of the program to complete the sports focused aspects for this program.
- Individual must possess one of the following; current ATC designation, current license as an EMT or certification as an Emergency Medical Responder prior to commencing the Sports Residency Program.