Geriatric Residency Overview
Jackie Osborne, PT, DPT, GCS, CEEAA
Coordinator, Geriatric Residency Pogram
As a world-class organization on the cutting edge of evidence-based practice and professional development, the Brooks IHL Geriatric Residency program prepares its residents to educate and care for an aging population. This program is one year in length and consists of three components that include didactic/psychomotor classes, clinical mentoring and supervision, and directed learning activities. In addition, case study presentations prepare the resident for participation in professional conferences and potential submission for publication.
Our Geriatric residents have the unique opportunity to practice in a state-of-the-art Skilled Nursing Facility at the Brooks Rehabilitation Bartram Crossing location. In addition, residents from all of the Brooks IHL residency programs comprehensively participate in foundational courses, allowing for development of professional relationships with colleagues of various specialty practice areas.
The Brooks PT Geriatric Residency is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency & Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE).
The Geriatric Residency Program will prepare physical therapists to successfully pass the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) board certification exam in geriatrics (GCS).
- The residency will be founded on The Five Pillars.
- The residents will participate in combinations of traditional coursework, directed learning activities, and clinical mentoring.
- Residents will serve as Brooks Rehabilitation staff for the course of the training.
- Upon graduation, the residents will serve as clinical leaders and change agents for Brooks Rehabilitation and/or the profession.
Applicants to the Brooks Geriatric Residency Program must:
- Obtain Florida licensure or temporary licensure by the 2nd Friday in June
- Meet all eligibility requirements to be employed as a practicing clinician within Brooks Rehabilitation
To view a directory of past residents, click here.