Diagnosis and Treatment of Acquired Apraxia of Speech
- Date(s): September 29, 2018 – September 29, 2018
- Times: Saturday 8:00AM - 3:15PM *Registration and breakfast are 30 minutes before advertised start time.
Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital
Assembly Rooms 1 & 2
3599 University Blvd South
Jacksonville, FL 32216
This course is being sponsored by JASPA.
Acquired apraxia of speech is a motor speech disorder that frequently co-occurs with aphasia. The differential diagnosis of apraxia from aphasia is challenging as it relies on expert-based judgment of speech characteristics that may overlap across disorders. This course will provide a brief overview of the current diagnostic method and its limitations, followed by discussion of new perceptual measures. Impairment-based approaches to treatment for individuals with AOS and concomitant aphasia will also be addressed. Video case examples and demonstrations will be provided so that clinicians can immediately begin putting this knowledge into practice.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Make an informed diagnostic decision about whether your client has apraxia of speech
- List and briefly describe a number of treatment approaches for apraxia of speech
- Demonstrate knowledge of a number of principles of motor learning and how to incorporate them into treatment
Lauren Bislick (Wilson), Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Financial: Dr. Bislick has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose
Non-Financial: Dr. Bislick has no relevant nonfinancial relationships to disclose.Intended Audience:
The information presented in this course is clinically relevant for Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) only.CEUs:
This course is offered for 0.6 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional area).
Disclaimer: Registrations from individuals with clinical designations not listed in the intended audience for this course may be subject to removal from the course roster without a full refund. See Brooks IHL Course Policies and Procedures for details. If you are unsure or have questions related to the intended audience, please email info@BrooksIHL.org and we will be happy to help clarify!
Simply select the number of tickets you wish to purchase and click the "Order Now" button to pay by credit card. After payment, you will receive an email confirmation of enrollment. Having trouble seeing the prices below? Click here!
- If you would like to pay by check, cash, or department*, please print this registration form, and send it to us with your payment. Checks should be made out to Brooks Rehabilitation.
- The Brooks Institute of Higher Learning will provide reasonable accommodations for learners with special needs. Please contact the Brooks IHL at info@BrooksIHL.org for more information and/or for a special needs accommodation request.